Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Joy of Waking Up Early

The Joy of Waking Up Early
Written by Naren


In this article I will be discussing why we cannot sleep, some of the benefits of being an early riser, and how it can be achieved by employing a few small steps. The article turned out to be longer than I had expected, so I have divided it into three parts. Each part is self-contained, but I would recommend you to go through them in order.


Sleep from different perspectives and its significance in our life

Sleep is absolutely essential to all living organisms. During sleep, while we are in deep rest, all our cells, brain, blood and other parts of our body are actively involved in refreshing and revitalizing our energy for the next day. If we don’t get enough sleep, we cannot function properly and it can have a negative impact on our body and mind. Sleep deprivation can cause many dangerous illnesses many of which we are not aware. Hence, we should understand our sleeping pattern; otherwise it can hamper us physically, emotionally and mentally.

Let me share my own thoughts first.

Was I an early riser?

No. I wasn’t. For most of my life in America, I have been a night owl. Why? There are many reasons. I came to the United States as an international student. In college, I was staying in the dormitory where nobody went to bed until 4 or 5 o’clock in the morning. And, as far as I was concerned, I just couldn’t sleep – it was a drastic change for me. On one hand I couldn’t sleep because of the agony of missing family, and on the other hand it was being in a completely different society. There were just too many things on my mind. As I mentioned earlier, most of my friends were late nighters. What did we used to do? Nothing. Just goof on the computer, play video games, watch movies, play ping pong, drink, party… Then when we had papers due the next morning, and we would stay up all night rushing to finish just before class. I was a pretty good student, but I must admit that I had not always been an early riser. It’s quite easy to be influenced and persuaded, and be lazy while you are in college. During the summer I had an overnight job as well as a day job to support my study in the United States. And, I must confess, things were not easy even after my graduation. I worked a graveyard shift for a while until I found a day job. I still remember how I used to yearn for a good night sleep while working those graveyard shifts.

So, not being an early riser was not a choice but a circumstance for the most part.

This certainly has had adverse effects on my sleeping pattern and stripped me of enjoying the beauty of the morning, which I came to realize when I could afford to wake up early. Yes, for the last two years, I have been an early riser, and I always strive to be one. I don’t always force myself strictly to adhere to such a routine – but I always try my best.

Sleep in a Third World Country like Nepal

When I was in Kathmandu everybody would go to bed by 8pm and wake up at 6 or 7 in the morning. There was no need to care about what time to go to sleep or what time to wake up. It was the same routine for most people. And as far as I can recall, my mother always got up by 5am, took a shower and began her morning rituals. It has become her habit. Despite her age and health, she still tries to keep up with her morning schedule as much as she can. I remember asking her once how she is able do so. She said that it is up to you to treat your body the way you want, and that your mind plays a big role in determining your sleeping habits. You can be lazy and stay in bed, or you can jump off the bed right away and get involved in your work. Her answer didn’t quite quench my query, as I knew that she also couldn’t afford to sleep longer. Yes, in a poor nation like Nepal, to sleep long hours is a luxury as most people struggle day and night for their existence. If one is wealthy, even in poorer countries, he has the utmost luxury to sleep late or wake up according to his desire; but if you belong to the struggling working class then you are not only forced to get little sleep, but also to become an early riser out of necessity. What an irony…

Sleep in Western Society

Since, this article is mostly written with western readers in mind, even though it can be applied to all, I am going to elaborate more on this issue. Not being able to sleep has been a big concern in most of the western societies.

  • Why cannot we sleep?
  • What keeps us from sleeping?
  • Why people are staying up longer and longer at night?

Many books have been devoted to the answers to these questions– but, in my view the biggest reason why people can’t sleep is the anxiety, stress and the worry of coping with this fast paced society. Yes, the world is not same as it was two thousand years ago. People then didn’t have to worry about uncountable bills to pay, like we do – but then again they had their own problems as we have ours. Many things have changed over the years. The environment is different. Deforestation, global warming, pollution, increase in population, and unawareness among people have given rise to so much anxiety and stress that it’s hard to sleep. How can you sleep when there are a thousand and one things pacing back and forth in your mind? How can you fall into deep sleep when your mind has become crowded with your thoughts and worries? It would be extremely difficult. In addition there are people who have to work nights to support themselves. Then there are people who have the luxury of going to bed early, but they can’t sleep because they are so troubled or occupied. So, most people live their lives sleep deprived. The later they go to bed, the later they wake up in the morning. In addition, some people have to force themselves to wake up early for work. How can one function well if they don’t get enough sleep? And according to scientific survey, we do need at least 7-8 hours of sleep whatsoever.

Who is to be blamed?

The society, the government, the credit card companies, human being themselves… The whole system, the whole practice has become so neurotic that it’s impossible to blame only one factor. Two thousand years ago people used to go into meditation so easily. Our ancestors would fall into sleep when they lay their head on a pillow, now we are having so much trouble – Why? It’s definitely something worth pondering.

The whole system, the whole pattern, the whole mind, the whole society needs cleansing. The whole human consciousness has to go through the alchemy of change. Unless and until a ray of awareness touches us, we will continue to live our life in misery and agony. Unless and until, we realize how essential sleep is for a better, healthy, and productive life, we will keep on suffering.

1 comment:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete